Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tales of a snow-filled week.


I could hardly believe it when I got a txt on Sunday night telling me I should come home ASAP as it was beginning to snow. I didn't heed this advice and ended up arriving home later that night in a borrowed 4WD as the roads quickly became too dangerous to drive on. Cars were pulled over along every curb as people had been forced to abandon their effort to drive and continue home on foot. All this on the streets on Johnsonville, Wellington!

Having never lived somewhere where it snowed before, I was ecstatic. It doesn't get much more exciting than coming home and having a snowball fight in your backyard.

The next day, the snow continued to fall and the hills by our house were filled with people in search of adventure. Snowboards were pulled out, along with boogy boards, rubbish bags and anything else that could be used to slide down a snow covered hill.

Being as high up in the hills of Jville as we are, we were basically snowed in. The fire was crackling 24/7, hot soup was on the menu, and I watched my wardrobe begin to dwindle as I ventured outside in item after item, returning soaking wet but still smiling after being dominated in yet another snowball fight.

Snow adventures abounded until Tuesday afternoon rolled around and the rain began to fall, the ice on the roads began to melt, and life began to go back to normal.

(Please excuse the quality of my photos - they are just from my phone!)

No comments:

Post a Comment